Be Part of a Fantastic Mentoring Program
The PMI South Africa Chapter Professional Development Team is pleased to announce the launch of the 2018 Mentoring Program based on the success of the 2016 and 2017 programs. The mentoring program leverages the knowledge and expertise of experienced members to provide personal support and guidance to less experienced members and is a complementary way for Chapter members to develop their skills and improve their performance. Having a mentor is a proven way of developing personal and professional capabilities and many highly successful professionals owe their success to having access to a great mentor.
Benefits of the Program
- Mentors will benefit from the satisfaction of perpetuating the project management culture and being provided with a personal learning opportunity.
- Mentees will benefit from access to broader knowledge and experience, which provides a wider perspective on their career and immediate tasks.
- The program offers Mentors and Mentees the opportunity to earn PDUs.
- Applicants must be current PMI South Africa Chapter members (or join as new members) to be considered for this Program.
- Mentees should have at least 2 years demonstrable experience and an interest in the PM profession
- Mentors should have at least 7 years’ project management experience, preferably with previous experience in mentoring.
- Members who participated in previous Chapter mentoring programs are welcome to apply again to participate in previous or new pairings.
- All mentors and mentees will be fully supported throughout the program. Both Mentors and Mentees will be given training at the beginning of the program.
- Duration: 6 months (September 2018 to 30 March 2019).
- Mentors and mentees will be informed about their mentor pairs by mid-July 2018 and can immediately start working on their mentoring agreements.
- Mentor/Mentee training: Gauteng workshop scheduled for 18 August 2018. Recordings will be made available shortly afterwards).
- Individual Mentor/Mentee Sessions begin: Recommended monthly sessions start after the training workshop (sessions may take place more regularly if agreed between Mentor & Mentee).
- Mid-point check-in reports: First week in December 2018.
End of program
- 30 March 2019 (Lessons learnt and exit reports and closing of program)
- PDUs: Approximately 6 to 10 (depending on how often the pairs meet)
- Costs: This program and the training event are still free to mentors and mentees for the2018/9 program.
Applications for participation will close on 02 nd July 2018.
Please request either the Mentor or Mentee application form electronically email@example.com. and return to the same mail address once completed. (this protocol is to prevent spam submissions from our website)
We look forward to hearing from you
Thanks & Regards,
PMI South Africa Professional Development Team
Testimonials from our previous Program
“Thanks again for the opportunity to participate in this programme, which I believe is a very good initiative from PMI SA Chapter.”
“Although I am studying further towards my Masters Degree in Programme Management with all the relevant theory in the courses I attend, I am lucky to have a mentor with experience in establishing and successfully running a PMO, it was of unmeasurable value. The fact that the mentor/mentee teams could choose how to structure the relationship
between the parties has added to its value.”
“It was also an opportunity to test my knowledge and revisit what I have learned over years in project management. I was thoroughly challenged by my mentor to use practical examples, keep things simple but remain within the confines of the project management methodology. The best part of the Programme was being paired with someone who is
very knowledgeable in project management.”
“The program material was good. In fact, very good!”
“Projects which allowed focus seemed to work well and though we had limited time due to the Mentee’s business, we achieved as much as we could during this period.”
“The training was great overall. I diligently followed a schedule. Therefore I was able to complete the training on time. I did a lot of research regarding information that I required. The PMI SA Chapter Mentoring Programme provided a platform to learn, build on concepts and improve. The indispensable skills, methods, tools and techniques which I have gained through exposure and developed from this programme cannot be found elsewhere. It is a spearhead for growth, key takeaways and networking. The knowledge and benefits reaped from this programme has provided direction to propel myself forward, with fresh approaches and self-confidence. A massive thank you to my mentor, for her focused attention, constructive feedback and wisdom. The PMI SA Chapter Mentoring Programme is an absolute must for anyone who wants to improve on any aspect of their ability to manage projects. This is as opportunity to invest in yourself. The Mentoring Program provided an opportunity to create a portfolio of evidence, including deliverables.”
“The best part of the programme for me, as the mentor, was to see the value that it brought to the mentee – watching her knowledge and skills develop throughout the programme. I enjoyed the opportunity to share my experiences and lessons learned – and this often gave me good ideas to apply on my current project.”
“The Mentor Program was extremely useful to me. My Mentor helped me in so many developmental areas that I was unaware of.”